Thinking of adopting a dog or cat? A few things to consider…
- Your household, new schedules and responsibilities. Routines will change.
- If you have a pet now, research good mixes — shelters and rescues help with this too. Factor in future veterinary expenses.
- Be prepared: provide a comfy bed, food, toys, food/water bowls, and a secure carrier.
- A litter box and scratching post for kitties are a must.
- If possible, take everyone in the family to meet the pet, including pets already in the home.
- Give your new pet time to acclimate to the his/her surroundings. The shelter/rescue will provide guidelines.
- Most of all, give them time to adjust, and when they’re ready, provide them with lots of time, attention, quality food and exercise/play. They'll thank you with years of happy tails and purrs!
Like Spot on Facebook, post a photo, and tell us your tips!