Hiking with your dog is a great way to spend a sunny day. Getting out, a little exercise and fresh air is even more fun with your best friend.
Before you go:
- Is your dog’s fitness level suitable for the hike ahead?
- What are the weather conditions?
- Is your dog well-behaved and socialized around other people and dogs?
It’s important to bring the right gear.
- A strong leash is very important. Dogs are lost each year after chasing critters, and many have fallen over cliffs. Keep him/her on a leash at all times.
- A well-fitting collar with tags containing all vital info in case of emergency.
- Water – a quart for every 3 miles is recommended.
- Collapsible water dish, snacks, poop bags, and a doggie first aid kit.
- A whistle in case you are out of cell range.
Be prepared for the unexpected and let someone know when you will be back. Most of all enjoy!!
Got a hiking tip or a fun pic? Like Spot on Facebook, post a photo, and tell us your tips!