National Pet Memorial Day was originally created in 1972 by the International Association of Pet Cemeteries in recognition of the importance of remembering beloved lost pets. The day is always celebrated on the second Sunday in September.
September is also recognized as National Pet Memorial Month. These special days give us an opportunity to appreciate the strong bond between pets and owners, educate people about the grief process that occurs when a beloved pet dies, and increase awareness of the many options available to memorialize pets who have passed away.
New this year, a 15-minute recorded Service of Remembrance will debut on National Pet Memorial Day, September 8, at www.petmemorialmonth.com. The video will feature pioneers from the pet loss profession offering thoughts of reflection, inspirational words and opportunities to remember a beloved pet member of your family. This video will be accessible by the general public permanently and may be viewed at a person's leisure year-round.
Participants will include (in alphabetical order):
- Jodi Clock, CPLP, Clock Timeless Pets, Muskegon, Mich.
- Coleen Ellis, CPLP, Two Hearts Pet Loss Center, Greenwood, Ind.
- Roberta Knauf, CPLP, Schoedinger Funeral & Cremation Service, Columbus, Ohio
- Katie Koewler, CPLP, Heart's Companion, Reno, Nev.
- Kate Moore, CPLP Beyond the Rainbow Pet Hospice & Memorial Center, Fort Worth, Texas
- Nancy Remkus, Hinsdale Animal Cemetery & Crematory, Willowbrook, Ill.
- J.T. Tomczak, Pals, Inc., Phoenix, Ariz.
- Brett VanDeWoestyne, CPLP, Vandemore Pet Cremation Services, Geneseo, Ill.
PLPA members around the country will commemorate the day by holding memorial services, pet blessings, candlelight vigils and other events in their community. Pet parents worldwide may visit www.petmemorialmonth.com to find a list of events being held near them, post an online memorial for deceased pets, view a list of ways to remember deceased pets and search for pet loss professionals in their area. The site will be continually updated as new information is available.