The following tips from Dr. Carol Osborne DVM can help ensure fun for everyone while trick or treating this season.
- No candy for Scruffy or Fluffy. Chocolate in all forms is dangerous for dogs and cats, and foil and cellophane wrappers can be harmful if swallowed. If you suspect your pet has ingested a potentially dangerous substance, call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435.
- While pumpkins and decorative corn are not toxic, they can cause stomach upset and even intestinal blockage if eaten.
- Keep wires and electric cords covered or secured so your pet doesn’t chew them and possibly get burned or shocked.
- Keep candles and potpourri out of paws’ reach. Curious pets and kittens can easily knock them over and cause a fire or risk getting burned.
- Dressing up is fun as long as your pet enjoys it and the costume is safe. Be sure the costume doesn’t restrict movement, breathing, hearing or sight. For pets who prefer their “birthday suits,” wearing a costume can be very stressful.
- All but the most social dogs and cats should be safely confined at home during trick-or-treating hours.
- Keep your dog or cat collared with a tag, and better still, microchipped.
- Black cats can be a target at Halloween. Keep them safely confined indoors.